- Don’t take it for granite that just because you love the other person that all is good. A marriage like anything else you value needs to be a practice you do every day. In order to improve and grow you must practice, practice, and practice. Words are “okay” but showing via actions always trumps words. Celebrate your love. On Anniversaries and Valentine’s day go crazy overboard. Sure it could be said things like Valentine’s day is a big commercial scam, but so what do it anyways! Better yet do it all year long.
- Stay social. It’s very tempting to hibernate at home and become each other’s best and only real friend. Not good. Go out on the town with friends. Have friends over to your place. Keep in contact with your friends and do things with them. It will keep your marriage livelier.
- Help each other. It’s easy to split and conquer chores like finances, grocery shopping, making dinner, … but once in a while take on the other person’s chores. You’ll get a better understanding of what they experience.
- Let your spouse grow even if you think you know what’s better for them : ) YOU DON’T! Life is about unfolding for further growth. Without growth, everything shuts down.
- Listen. I mean really listen. You may only get one chance.
If you don’t love yourself – START. You can’t give love unless you love yourself.