Each week we add a new habit and mindset. For week 3, I stacked on the habit of including 30 seconds of cold water in my showers. This is one of Wim Hof’s methods to keep your body and mind in its optimal natural state.
The cold is your warm friend and one of the three pillars of the Wim Hof Method. Proper exposure to the cold starts a cascade of health benefits, including the buildup of brown adipose tissue and resultant fat loss, reduced inflammation that facilitates a fortified immune system, balanced hormone levels, improved sleep quality, and the production of endorphins— the feel-good chemicals in the brain that naturally elevate your mood..https://www.wimhofmethod.com
The mindset for week 3 is the concept of Fueling First. Think about gas in a car and constantly driving around on empty. It causes a tremendous strain not only for the physical car but it also causes strain to you, the drivers mental state. When your tank is full though there is liberty and freedom. The trick is the timing. When do you do it? Do you wait till the end of the day after hashing through the worries of running out and the anxiety of all that or is there a better way? Think about how much better your day would of been if you started it off by fueling yourself first. Practice YOUR disciplines in the beginning of the day. For me right now that’s continuing my intermittent fast, breathing exercises, 1 hr workout, and a cold shower. I can tell you after that my tank is full. For you, maybe it’s starting your day with prayer, meditation, yoga, healthy meal, …you get the point.
Complete list of what I’m doing currently. Items in bold are what we added this week.
- 1 hour workouts 4 days a week
- 1 hour Yoga on Thursday
- Saturday workout challenge
- Sunday rest, get outdoors
- Only eating meat, vegetables, and fruit. One cup of rice a day is allowed, and sweet potatoes. Eggs allowed. No sugars. No sauces.
- Intermittent fasting 16 hr fast/ 8 hr window to eat
- Drinking 96 oz water daily
- Sleep at least 7 hours day
- Daily video accountability check-ins
- Mindset of “I Get To” vs “I have to”
- Wim Hof breath work
- Mindset of Choose your role – guide
- 30 seconds of straight cold water while showering
- Mindset of fueling first
How’s it going for week 3?
Starting to feel and see some results. I’m keeping up with the guided exercises and giving it everything I got. The cold showers were actually invigorating! A lot of quick breaths out initially and then you settle down. Throw in some primal screams and you reach nirvana…okay okay …but it is pretty amazing on how to start you day. Afterwards I feel alive, awake, and refreshed. Years ago when I had an emotional breakdown, I did cold showers as part of my therapy. It definitely helped me get my mind off all the “crap” and out of my head.
I’ve read that when you are first starting out on a new path that many of the folks who love and support you will actually become part of the training. With well intentions they may poo poo certain actions you are doing or even attempt to setup situations that temp you to “take an out” for a bit. They aren’t use to seeing you in this new state and are often just trying to get those in their environment back to what’s “normal/expected” for THEM. I’ve experienced this myself. One friend went way off and it was right in the beginning and honestly I just sat their and took it while standing in shock. It really messed me up, but I finally realized it was the word Discomfort that triggered them. Again more about them then and not about me. Even the other night I was excited about the cold showers and was explaining it to a friend and he said that’s just plain stupid and silly. Experts will also chime in on how you are doing it all wrong. When all this happens evaluate for yourself if it gels or not with YOU and look at is real life training on overcoming obstacles that will be placed in front of you. Go around them. Go over them. Just keep going!
In that regard, I’m learning slowly not to share every detail of my journey with many of my friends and loved ones just for those reasons. It’s hard for an over sharer like me. When I mention Men and Women of Discomfort is the name of the program it really surprises the hell out of folks. I try to explain that forcing ourselves into controlled safe discomfort like exercising,breath work, cold showers, … actually sets us up well for when we face real life discomfort. Think about some of the biggest accomplishments of your life. Was there not major mental or physical discomfort you had to breakthrough to succeed and change your life?
- Started: 191
- Week 1: 185
- Week 2: 182.8
- Week 3: 178.8
Saturday challenge: warmup shoulder exercises 10 minutes. Set timer 10 minutes. Hang from bar as long as you can. Record time. Run 200m. Do handstand as long as you can. Record time. Run 200m. Keep repeating till the timer turns off. Note your longest hang and longest handstand.
My longest bar hang time was 1 minute 20 seconds and my longest wall handstand was 57 seconds.
Week 3 Photo
My 90 day goals:
- Weigh 170 (started at 191)
- BMI 18.5 – 22 (currently 27.3)
- Bone mineral density Z-Score – 0 or higher (currently -0.2)
- Lean mass – 80% or higher (currently 61.6%)
- Have ingrained healthy food choices/eating habits
- New muscle mass
- Lean body and a feeling of empowered and feeling fit
- My discomfort muscle will be strengthened and calloused so when life’s discomfort happen I’m ready to face them and walk towards them
- A sense of pride that I can accomplish difficult things and I’m making myself a better man
- Knowing I’m doing everything I can to take care of my health and be around a long time to love, enjoy, and support my family
- Be an example for others and help them however I can on their wellness journey
- Throw away any left over victim thoughts
- Have a complete mindset on Wellness for Life
For more information on the program I’m taking check out the following:
If you have a goal/endeavor that you are striving for that requires daily or weekly “work towards” and would like some accountability with others and support come check out http://fadedjeanslivingcheckins.com over on the Volley app. We’d love for you to join the team!
Leave a Reply