Each week we add a new habit and mindset. For week 4, I stacked on the habit of on a daily bases every 24 hours find someone to do a good deed for and not get credit. Do it anonymously. Find things you actively see in the world you’re walking around in, something that could benefit someone else, and you take care of it. This invitation allows you to see others and their world differently and a way into that world to help them out. Doesn’t have to be grand or profound, it could be very simple and accessible. What’s most important is you’re thinking of others and taking action.
The mindset for week 4 is traveling light. When you travel lighter in a sense everything gets easier. It does take hard work though. There may be dependencies you need to give up such as physical, mental, and spiritual. What would it look like this week if you intentionally give some things up? If you were more like a minimalist … take less on? Even carry a lighter disposition into relationships and conversations.
Traveling light. I believe last Sunday I hurt my big left toe of all things while rucking. I had a 30 pound plate in my ruck and it was the first time not on a road, but out on a trail with several hills. I think it was jamming the front of my boot and now it’s sore as hell. I kept my schedule walking group walks all week including yesterday. Last night, after it continued to not get any better, I realized this is foolish. I went out to my Meetup sites and canceled next week’s scheduled walks and ruck. It won’t be the end of the world and by taking less on around walking and rucking … I can heal. There’s no reason to power through it and it rarely works at my age. My whole goal is wellness for life.
Another traveling light mindset I’ve taken on is around a recent exploration at work. I work for UCHealth and we have several hospitals along the front range in Colorado. I’m pretty good friends with the VP of HR and told him I was thinking about wanting to get out of the IT world and was interested in social work. He was very supportive and setup a meeting with me to talk to the director of social work for next week. I started to get a bit stressed about setting this all up, is it even something I’d like, would it pay enough, how much schooling would be involved, working onsite and commuting…. Finally a friend last night over dinner said, hey you don’t have to go forward with the whole career change, just chat with the director and go from there. Tread light for now.😊
Complete list of what I’m doing currently. Items in bold are what we added this week.
- 1 hour workouts 4 days a week
- 1 hour Yoga on Thursday
- Saturday workout challenge
- Sunday rest, get outdoors
- Only eating meat, vegetables, and fruit. One cup of rice a day is allowed, and sweet potatoes. Eggs allowed. No sugars. No sauces.
- Intermittent fasting 16 hr fast/ 8 hr window to eat
- Drinking 96 oz water daily
- Sleep at least 7 hours day
- Daily video accountability check-ins
- Mindset of “I Get To” vs “I have to”
- Wim Hof breath work
- Mindset of Choose your role – guide
- 30 seconds of straight cold water while showering
- Mindset of fueling first
- Do a good deed for someone every 24 hrs anonymously
- Traveling light
How’s it going for week 4?
I’m literally dialing in on week 4. I’ve learned how to adjust my workouts within the Down Dog app, so I can hit certain body parts per workout.
- Monday – full body (total burn)
- Tuesday – cardio (fat burn)
- Wednesday – upper body (arms, back)
- Thursday- yoga
- Friday – lower body (legs, core)
- Saturday – exercise challenge
- Sunday – rest
It’s a good rhythm and especially love the checking in part. Everyday we have to checkin with what we do, via volley app (video), and it fires me up listening and seeing everyone. We’re all on the same wellness journey. I have made adjustments along the way such as including a 5 minute warmup and a 5 minute cooldown for each workout.
Every Saturday I send out an update to my kids with the progress and here’s the latest feedback:
- Started: 191
- Week 1: 185
- Week 2: 182.8
- Week 3: 178.8
- Week 4: 178.2
Week 5 Photos
My 90 day goals:
- Weigh 170 (started at 191)
- BMI 18.5 – 22 (currently 27.3)
- Bone mineral density Z-Score – 0 or higher (currently -0.2)
- Lean mass – 80% or higher (currently 61.6%)
- Have ingrained healthy food choices/eating habits
- New muscle mass
- Lean body and a feeling of empowered and feeling fit
- My discomfort muscle will be strengthened and calloused so when life’s discomfort happen I’m ready to face them and walk towards them
- A sense of pride that I can accomplish difficult things and I’m making myself a better man
- Knowing I’m doing everything I can to take care of my health and be around a long time to love, enjoy, and support my family
- Be an example for others and help them however I can on their wellness journey
- Throw away any left over victim thoughts
- Have a complete mindset on Wellness for Life
If you have a goal/endeavor that you are striving for that requires daily or weekly “work towards” and would like some accountability with others and support come check out http://fadedjeanslivingcheckins.com over on the Volley app. It doesn’t even need to be a health endeavor. Maybe you’re working on writing for so many minutes a day. Maybe you’re learning a new language or learning how to play an instrument. Feel free to just just join and observe to start off.